Wednesday, June 25, 2008

over my head

One theme of my life:
I try things that are way beyond my skill level, and then when it is hard, I quit.

Ugh. I am trying to make this cute pink baby quilt and things are going all wrong. I didn't think when I started that I didn't know how to applique and that I only have very basic skills in embroidery. And, I tried to get funky with the patterns and instead of sticking to three colors, I have a jumble of shades of pink. It might be hideous. It might, more likely, never be finished. I am frustrated as you may imagine. I thought about mailing it to my mom (an expert quilter), but I really want to be able to give this to my cousin at her baby shower without everyone knowing that my momma helped me.
I was going to make a second version of this same quilt for my friend's baby shower in two weeks. That won't happen now that I see how hard this is, and because it is so expensive! So, I'm going to make an alternate and easier quilt using this fabric (as soon as the month is over and I have money in my budget to buy it, which will mean I may be up all night the night before making it): Do you think green is a strange color for a baby blanket? They had light pink, which I was going to use, but they sold out. They also have orange, which I guess I could pair with red or hot pink, but I don't know if that would be too garish for a baby -- I like it, but what do you think?

No comments: