Friday, January 19, 2007

The Ant King




Andy and I went to see E. O. Wilson (said to be our generation's Darwin and he's a double Pulitzer prize winner) speak. It was an honor to hear him and I enjoyed it. I thought he was going to speak in detail about his research with ants, but instead he promoted his new book, which Andy and I are about to read. It's about our ethical or moral obligation to be good stewards of the Earth, which means funding conservation efforts and promoting a more "green" lifestyle (I'm all for it). We'll give our comments on the book soon. I'm sure it will be worth the read. It's even more interesting because in the novel he suggests (or begs) that the religious and scientific realms work together. What a bright idea!
Earlier this morning I was in the tub reading "Extreemly Loud & Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer (I reccommend this book!) and in the story the main character, a little boy, is writing letters to people he admires. "'Who are you writing letters to?' she asked... 'Kofi Annan, Siegfried, Roy, Jacques Chirac, E. O. Wilson, Wierd Al Yankovic, Bill Gates, Vladamir Putin, and some other people.'" I thought it was funny. It's okay if you don't.

No comments: