Wednesday, September 13, 2006

nostalgia and the not so silent "t"

Why, out of all the SAT words we were made to memorize, do most people remember what nostalgic means? Perhaps, it is because it has a nice sound or perhaps because we all feel a little nostalgic about something in our past.
Frankly, I can't stand who I used to be overall. . . implying that I had at least few good points, I think, one of those being my love of music. So, while I may not be nostalgic about my past, I am nostalgic about particular bands and songs. You should know, dear reader, that I think the reason Andy persisted in pursuing me -- even after he wrongly assumed that I liked other guys -- is because we both loved music so much. Almost all of our early dates were going to go see bands, especially Waterdeep. And, of course, it gave us a subject to talk about.
All of that babbling was simply to tell you that I had a nice day listening to music (because no one else was at work with me today) and to impress upon you how nice it was to enjoy music, which is very nice. Nice, nice, nice.

Guess what. The "t" in often is silent! I had no idea! Apparently, Peter Jennings or some other newscaster in the early 80's said "off-ten" instead of the proper "offen" and now tons of people, including me, say "off-ten." (It became so popular that the modern dictionaries give both pronunciations.) Well, no more. Since I enjoy being such a stickler, I'm going to try to say "offen" just for the fun of being a snob. (If you don't believe me, add an "s" to often and see if "t" stays or not.)

No comments: