Thursday, October 19, 2006

sweatshirts, school, and such

It is finally sweatshirt weather. I love to wear blue jeans and a sweatshirt. Andy and I are opposite in this: he prefers the spring and summer and I love the fall and winter.

Andy's physics professor seems to be behaving more reasonably lately. Thank you community group members for praying for him. I'm also feeling a little bit easier about school. I still have a lot to do but I had a few compliments from a professor last night at class and that re-energized me. I am one of those perfectionists who freaks out and doesn't want to turn anything in because it isn't perfect. I've learned to get over that in the past year b/c in graduate school you don't have an option of turning things in late and my professors (or at least two of them) figured me out and told me that I had to quit that habit. (I also don't like to try new things unless I know I'll succeed in it -- which is absolutely silly b/c I couldn't know unless I tried.) But I still think whatever I've done for class isn't good enough because I'm a little amazed that I'm still in school. That's why when I find out that I'm actually one of the better students I'm tickled. It's funny to remember that Andy also never really believes that he is as smart as he is -- so why do I think that's so strange when I do it myself?

Anyway, I wrote a paper yesterday on The Subjection of Women, one of the first essays written for women's rights in England -- I think it was about in 1860s. I want to quote two of the statements that I quoted in my paper because they are so cutting and poignant. I think it's worthwhile to mention them.

“[M]en usually see only what they already had in their own minds.”
“[W]as there ever any domination which did not appear natural to those who possessed it?”

No comments: