Tuesday, August 29, 2006

weekend synopsis

I spent this weekend in Dallas at the Women of Faith conference because my Mema nicely bought me tickets to join her and the rest of the women on my mom’s side of the family. I really enjoyed the big-city food, the time with my family, and the swimming pool at the hotel. Since the conference was the focal point of the weekend, I am going to talk about that.

My favorite speaker was Marilyn Meberg and the most impacting thing she said (something I’d heard several times, but I’m dense and it takes awhile to move me) was “Jesus did not come to make bad people good – he came to give dead people life.”
The most important thing that I realized this weekend, in response to the conference and my sister’s and mother’s church, is that I’ve been complacent since I made major changes to my life (when I became active in my relationship with God at 19 and then again when I was married at 21.) My regular habit is to go through my days thinking about what needs to be completed, scheduled, turned in, fixed, cleaned up… that I tend to react to my surroundings rather than making conscious decisions to be loving, serving, and thoughtful. So I'm working on that.

Poor Andy had to eat Wal-mart brand lasanga and McDonald's cheeseburgers. But he survived and he even mowed the lawn. He's at home today fixing our water pump, which died again today. Texas Tech is no longer an option for our next school. We're still looking at the two schools in OK and a few others in other states. His GRE exam date is Sept. 16th, so please pray for him that he'd pace the exam well and that he'd be able to remember what he has memorized.

No comments: